Furious Prince Harry snubbed dinner with King Charles III and his brother the Prince of Wales at Balmoral after a row with his father when the new monarch banned Meghan Markle from joining the grieving Royal Family on the day the Queen died, sources have claimed.
The Duke of Sussex reportedly wanted his wife to join him as royals raced to the Scottish estate to say their final goodbyes to their beloved mother and grandmother on September 8.
However, Britain's new King phoned his youngest son and told him it was 'not appropriate' for the former Suits actress to be there, according to reports.
It is claimed that in the ensuing row, during which Harry fought to persuade his father to allow Meghan to come with him, he missed a flight carrying William and their uncles Andrew and Edward to Scotland - and with it the chance to bid farewell.
The prince - who plunged the monarchy into crisis after he and the duchess sensationally quit royal duties and left the UK for California two years ago, before making a series of stunning allegations against The Firm - was so angry that his wife had been banned, and that he had missed his first flight, that he refused to have dinner that evening with Charles, William and Queen Consort Camilla.
Instead, he ate with the Duke of York and the Earl and Countess of Wessex before leaving early the next morning, The Sun reports.
Prince Harry had insisted on having his wife, Meghan, with him on the day the Queen died, but she was banned from attending by King Charles III, it is alleged. Pictured: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex stand behind King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla at Queen Elizabeth II's funeral on September 19
It is claimed that in the ensuing row Prince Harry missed his flight to Aberdeen, meaning he took a later one that only landed after Her Majesty's death had been announced to the world. Pictured: The Duke of Sussex looks sombre while travelling from Aberdeen to Balmoral on the day of the Queen's death
Instead of having dinner with his father, brother and stepmother, Harry decided to eat with his uncles at Balmoral Castle on the night of the Queen's death. Pictured: Balmoral Castle in Scotland
Prince Harry allegedly snubbed his father and brother when having dinner at Balmoral after the new King banned his wife from attending. Pictured: King Charles III and the Duke of Sussex walk alongside Princess Anne as they arrive at the committal service for the Queen at Windsor on September 19
After the row the Prince of Wales and Duke of Sussex put on a united front by walking out to meet members of the public. Pictured: The Princess of Wales, the Prince of Wales and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex walk outside Windsor Castle on September 10
The Sun quotes a source as saying: 'Harry was so busy trying to get Meghan to Balmoral and rowing with his family that he missed the flight.
'Charles has an open invitation for Harry to dine with him whenever he is in the country.
'But Harry was so furious that he refused to eat with his father and brother.
'It was a massive snub. And he got out of Balmoral at the earliest opportunity to catch the first commercial flight back to London.'
The next morning he was the first member of the Royal Family to leave, boarding an early British Airways flight from Aberdeen where he was pictured comforting an airport worker after she passed along her condolences for his grandmother's death.
Harry headed back to Meghan at 8.28am, where he was sat alone in the rear of a Range Rover as he was driven out of the Royal Family's Scottish home, where he had arrived at 7.52pm the night before.
The death of Queen Elizabeth: A timeline of how today's sad news was announced
12.35pm: A statement is released by Buckingham Palace, announcing that the Queen is under medical supervision at Balmoral after doctors became 'concerned for her health'. A Palace spokesperson said: 'Following further evaluation this morning, the Queen's doctors are concerned for Her Majesty's health and have recommended she remain under medical supervision. The Queen remains comfortable and at Balmoral.'
12.47pm: A statement is released by Clarence House, confirming that Prince Charles and his wife Camilla would travel to Balmoral. It said: 'The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have travelled to Balmoral'.
12.48pm: A minute later, Kensington Palace announces that Price William will be travelling to Balmoral. The statement read: 'The Duke of Cambridge is also travelling to Balmoral.'
1.37pm: It is reported that Prince Andrew has travelled to Balmoral Castle in Scotland following news that doctors were concerned for The Queen's health.
1.38pm: Sources confirm to the Press Association (PA) that The Princess Royal is at Balmoral, and the Duke of York and the Earl and Countess of Wessex are on their way to the Queen's Scottish home.
1.55pm: A spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex confirms that the couple will be 'travelling to Scotland'. While the initial statement mentioned 'Scotland', it did not make directly make mention of Balmoral. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were due to attend the WellChild Awards ceremony in London on Thursday evening, but changed their plans to travel to see the Queen.
4.14pm: A news alert by the Press Association (PA) said that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were believed to be travelling to Balmoral 'separately' from other royals.
4.39pm: Less than 30 minutes later, PA issue another news alert, quoting an unnamed source, saying that that the Duchess of Sussex would not travel to Balmoral with the Duke of Sussex. The source said that Prince Harry would be making the trip by himself. A source said the Duchess could potentially join Harry in Scotland at a later date, following what PA described as a 'change of plan'.
4.44pm: Minutes later, Omid Scobie, a journalist considered to be 'friendly' towards the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, and who often quotes unnamed sources close to the couple, writes a post on social media network, Twitter about the situation. He wrote: A source has shared an update stating that only Prince Harry has made the trip up to Balmoral. Like the Duchess of Cambridge (who is in Windsor with their three children), the Duchess of Sussex is staying back in England (but still not attending tonight's WellChild Awards).' The post mentions Kate, who earlier in the day it was revealed would not travel to Balmoral.
6.30pm: The Royal Family announces via social media site Twitter that Queen has died 'peacefully' at Balmoral at the age of 96.
8pm: Prince Harry arrives at Balmoral following the public announcement
He was swept into Aberdeen airport at 9.20am, led by five police outriders, and boarded a flight to London leaving at 10am.
Harry wore a black suit and carried a shoulder bag as he walked towards the steps of the plane. An airport worker offered her sympathies as the Prince was about to walk up the steps of a British Airways aircraft.
The woman, who was dressed in a high- visibility yellow jacket, addressed Prince Harry. The royal smiled and patted her gently in the shoulder before boarding the aircraft for London’s Heathrow Airport.
Less than 12 hours earlier grief had been written on the Duke's face after landed in Scotland following the announcement of Queen Elizabeth II's death.
He had his head bowed and partially covered his face as he was driven out of Aberdeen airport, arriving at Balmoral after dark.
The Queen's death had forced an unexpected reunion between Harry and the rest of the Royal Family.
The Sussexes, whose comments since Megxit has caused a rift with the royals, especially William, were not expected to see any royals during their tour of the UK and Europe - despite staying yards from the Cambridges during their pseudo-royal tour of Europe - until Her Majesty's passing.
Since then the pair have taken part in more than a week of national mourning with other members of the Royal Family.
Harry was prominent in a number of processions and services, walking behind his grandmother's coffin as it was transported from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall, and again as it was subsequently moved to Westminster Abbey for her funeral.
Meanwhile, Meghan joined her husband for the Queen's funeral and committal service on Monday, September 19, as well as for the coffin procession to Westminster Hall on September 14.
The pair also appeared to put on a united front with the Prince and Princess of Wales, heading out together to greet mourners and well-wishers at Windsor Castle.
It was claimed earlier this week that Meghan requested a 'one-to-one' meeting with King Charles in a bid to heal rifts before she left for California with Harry after the Queen's funeral.
Neil Sean, an entertainment correspondent who has appeared on NBC News, MSNBC and Access Hollywood, said that he had heard from a 'very good source' that the American actress had sent a letter requesting a private conversation with the King.
Mr Sean claims that Meghan wanted to 'clear the air' amid reports the couple would fly back to the US as soon as they can to see their children, Archie, three, and Lilibet, one.
'She'd now like before they return back to California to have a one-to-one audience with King Charles III,' Sean said in a video posted to YouTube, that has recorded nearly 300k views.
'That's right—Meghan one-to-one with King Charles. You heard correct.
'It's a very brave move from Meghan herself,' Sean said.
Detailing the content of the letter, he said: 'It would be an opportunity to clear the air, pull the rights from wrongs and explain some of the rationale behind what they've been doing over the last two years.
'Now, you know, you have to admire Meghan's self-belief, whatever you think.'
However, in a twist, royal sources claimed it was 'very unlikely' that the Duchess of Sussex had written such a letter.
Charles is known to want to heal his relationship with his son and his wife, even saying how much he loved them in his first address as King, making it ‘very unlikely’ he would ignore such a request if it happened, one source said.
Buckingham Palace and the Sussexes have not commented on the claims, however royal sources told MailOnline that Meghan would be 'very unlikely' to trouble the King as he mourns his mother after yesterday’s funeral and as he grapples with his first days as King.
Another insider said it would be 'odd' for the Duchess to write formally to the King directly for a meeting, given Harry would have a direct path to his father.
Meghan Markle, the Dutchess of Sussex, requested a 'one-to-one' meeting with Charles in a formal letter sent to the new King, according to a Royals insider
The Royals insider claims the 41-year-old penned a formal note to King Charles hoping to meet privately following his mother's funeral
Prince William directs Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to their seats at St George's Chapel for the committal service
Prince William and Prince Harry join the procession following the state hearse carrying the coffin at Windsor
While William and Harry have put aside their disagreements for royal events in recent days, fears over the content of Harry's upcoming memoir continue to cast a cloud over their relationship - especially following the bombshell interview he and Meghan gave to Oprah Winfrey in March 2021 when they accused an unnamed royal of racism.
Rumours of a rift between the brothers first emerged in 2019 when they divided their households following various disagreements about Harry's role, but their feud deepened amid the fallout from the Megxit saga in 2020.
But the death of the Queen has seen the rivals shelve their differences, with William and Kate joined by Harry and Meghan for the first occasions in more than two years since Commonwealth Day in March 2020.
A royal source told the Telegraph's Camilla Tominey that Prince William and Kate, felt 'the focus should solely be on this period of deep mourning and nothing else. The focus should only be on his late grandmother'.
Prince Andrew and Prince Harry were both again banned from saluting during the procession to Westminster Abbey on Monday – while other royals including King Charles III, Prince William and Princess Anne all performed the gesture.
Members of the Royal Family saluted when the Queen's coffin was taken into the Abbey. But Andrew and Harry simply stood still because they were not allowed to wear military uniform, as neither are now working royals.
It comes after Harry and Andrew were also prohibited from saluting at the funeral procession to Westminster Hall. Andrew did also not salute at the vigil in Edinburgh for the same reason.
The decision to ban Harry and Andrew from wearing military uniforms in most events following the Queen's death at Balmoral is a reminder of how both now have limited involvement in the Royal Family.
Prince Harry spent ten years in the Army, but he was stripped of his honorary military titles in 2020 after he and his wife announced they were stepping down as senior working royals and moving abroad.
His uncle the Duke of York, who was forced to stand down from public life in 2019 over the Jeffrey Epstein scandal, is the only other royal banned from wearing military uniform at the ceremonial events and funeral.
Meghan was 'unresponsive' to Queen Consort Camilla's attempts to give her advice and support when she first joined the Royal Family, book claims
By Jessica Taylor for MailOnline
The Duchess of Sussex was 'unresponsive' to Queen Consort Camilla's advice to her when she first joined The Firm, a royal book has claimed.
A new biography of the Queen Consort, written by Angela Levin, claims the then-Duchess of Cornwall organised lunches with Meghan and did her best to welcome her into the family - but her advice fell flat with an 'unresponsive' Meghan.
An extract of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall: A Royal Survivor, which was published in the Telegraph, Levin claims Camilla was keen to help Meghan at the beginning of her relationship with Harry after herself struggling to be accepted by the Royal Family, and 'warmly' welcomed her when she first arrived in London.
A biography of the Queen Consort Camilla, written by Angela Levin, claims the then-Duchess of Cornwall was keen to welcome Meghan into the family (Meghan and Queen Consort Camilla at the Queen's funeral at Westminster Abbey on Monday)
Levin claimed Meghan was 'unresponsive' to Camilla's efforts to advise her on the increased scrutiny she would receive as a senior member of the Royal Family (pictured: King Charles, Queen Consort, Harry and Meghan at Charles's 70th birthday)
Levin added King Charles, who was then Prince of Wales, enjoyed Meghan's company and often spoke to her about theatre and the arts.
In an attempt to help the Duchess of Sussex 'find her feet', the Queen Consort advised her on how to handle the pressure of being in the public eye and the scrutiny she would face as a senior member of the Royal Family.
Levin quoted an unnamed source who told her at the time: 'She doesn’t want to see anyone struggling and she is fond of Meghan.'
Despite Camilla's efforts, Levin claimed the Duchess 'seemed bored' and 'preferred to go her own way' in carving out a role for herself within The Firm.
The author also acknowledged the Duchess of Sussex's reputation within the family for being an incredibly hard worker, noting the cookbook she made contributions to which had been put together by survivors of the Grenfell Tower fire in 2017.
A royal book has claimed Harry suggested bringing in a mediator to heal the rift within the royal family, to which Queen Consort Camilla 'spat out her tea'. Pictured: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla at the Queen's funeral on Monday
Paying tribute to Meghan's work with the Grenfell community, Levin noted how the Queen Consort invited the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, plus Camilla's friend Lucia Santa Cruz, to lunch at Highgrove, and made sure the menu had been cultivated specifically from recipes in the Grenfell Tower cookbook - which Lucia described as 'a really nice gesture'.
The account detailed by Levin comes as another royal book claims the Queen Consort 'spluttered over her tea' when Prince Harry suggested bringing in a third-party mediator to heal the rift between himself and Meghan and the rest of the family.
In The New Royals: Queen Elizabeth's Legacy and the Future of the Crown, by Katie Nicholl, which has been serialised in Vanity Fair, Nicholl wrote how relations between the Duke and Duchess and the rest of the family were most strained after Harry and Meghan did not come to the UK in March 2021 to attend the Duke of Edinburgh's memorial service.
At the time, reports claimed Harry had concerns over his family's security arrangements while in the UK.
Nicholl wrote that King Charles, who was then Prince of Wales, invited Harry and Meghan to tea just weeks after the Duke of Edinburgh's memorial service, as the couple stopped off in the UK before heading to The Hague to attend an Invictus Games event.
However, an unnamed family friend told Nicholl the meeting was 'awkward' and only lasted for around 15 minutes after the Duke and Duchess were late to meet then-Prince Charles and then-Duchess of Cornwall, Camilla.
They claimed: '[Harry] actually suggested that they use a mediator to try and sort things out, which had Charles somewhat bemused and Camilla spluttering into her tea.'
They added the Queen Consort told the Duke his suggestion was 'ridiculous' and that they would resolve their differences within the family.